Dating Etiquette – This Is How I Want It To Be
I took my daughter to a Father/Daughter dance this evening. She’s 11 and in 5th grade. And I thought, this is what a “date” is supposed to be like.
Very respectful, interested, open. We talked about a lot of things. Then she ran off with friends and kicked balloons for a while. Then we did some swing dancing lessons. Then she ran off with her friends again. Then she came up to me and gave me the usual, “Daddy, I’m bored.”
We left. On the way home we held hands. I asked her, “Do you want to go get a yogurt, or something?” I was looking to extend our time together.
“I mean, only if you want to go?”
“I want to go,” she said, with confidence.
That’s the standard I have to look for in my “dating.” We genuinely want to be together. We are interested and interesting. And when the question is asked, “Is that really what you want to do?” The answer is a swift and decisive, “YES.”
The Off Parent
< back to On Dating Again index
- The Divorce Library (reading list)
- Songs of Divorce (free listening library – youtube sourced songs)
- Laugh It Off (building a resource library of funny videos and other diversions)
- Facebook (follow us on Facebook and keep up with all the conversations)
- The 5 Love Languages (a book on love styles by Gary Chapman)